Asked anonymously

Why would my 95 year old mother-in-law owe the Federal government money? Her income is less than $8,000 a year.

She has a small amount in savings and she's been leaving with us for the past 40 years. Since her retirement in 1986 and we've been claiming her as dependent.

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

March 13, 2016

Hello Anonymous,
Not knowing the specifics, I recommend contacting the federal agency involved (i.e., SSA, IRS.GOV or Medicare?). The agency will provide your mother with a written explanation as to why it believe she has a debt. From there you can determine what steps to take to rebut or resolve the issue.

I hope my response helps,

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.29.20 @ 00:43