Asked by Michael  |  Submitted October 20, 2016

My wife and I will have to start taking RMD in 2017. What are our options as to where we should put this money if we don't need all of it?

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

October 25, 2016

#1 work with a financial advisor, but certainly not at a bank.
#2 roll the portion of your funds you don't want to use into a Qualifying Longevity Annuity Contract (QLAC) to reduce your Required Minimum Distributions. This can lower your income tax bracket and put more money in your pocket.

There are many options, but working with a financial advisor and putting together a plan that you understand will be in your best interest. There are many factors and not just one answer.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.20.20 @ 23:02