Asked by victoria  |  Submitted March 01, 2018

My spouse died leaving me with $30,000 in credit card debt all in my name. What can I do to eliminate this debt?

I now have more debt than income and I can't pay off this debt alone. I don't think I can file bankruptcy since I own 2 vehicles. I did go see a bankruptcy lawyer a year ago when my husband was in the nursing home.

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

June 06, 2018

If your income is social security and retirement you probably have no need to file bankruptcy. Your income is protected by federal law. You can stop paying the cards. You can send what is called a cease and desist letter to a collector which requires them to cease contact. You will be fine. Eric Olsen Executive Director HELPS Nonprofit Law Firm

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 10.26.20 @ 11:00