Asked by Katie Greene  |  Submitted August 26, 2015

My mother is going to sell her old home, but is temporarily renting it out to cut down on costs. What kind of insurance does she need to protect the home and herself?

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

August 26, 2015

A dwelling fire or "landlord policy" with special form coverage would be best in most instances to protect your property. It also protects you from certain types of liability unique to landlords, like wrongful eviction and entry. In today's litigious society having the right policy is crucial. You'll want to see what's covered and if any special endorsements are needed. Wise landlords require their to renters have renters insurance and list you as an additional interest. Your regular home owners policy won't cover this type of exposure and in most instances costs more than having the correct policy.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.29.20 @ 01:12