Asked by John  |  Submitted September 10, 2013

Is it true that I need to use a special carrier to insure my classic car?

I am going to be inheriting a classic car. I was told by a friend that I need to use a special carrier because most won't fully restore it in case of damage.

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  2

September 10, 2013

Typically, yes, you would need coverage specifically designed to protect your classic car. It may actually be cheaper than a traditional policy if you don't drive the vehicle a lot. Give Hagerty a try.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 10.01.20 @ 22:07


March 03, 2015

A classic auto policy is usually written on an agree value form. That means that the amount of coverage is set before the policy is issued. The policy is generally underwritten on the number of days each year that the car is actually in service. You could have a model T and drive it every day, have classic auto plates and a classic auto insurance company might refuse coverage because of the number of days the vehicle is in use.

Often the classic policy has special coverages that mean a great deal to a classic car enthusiast. For example, the policy might guarantee that whenever they are providing roadside service they will only use flat bed recovery vehicles.

These types of conversations are not normal for routine automobile insurance so contacting an agent who can handle classic cars is a very wise move.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 10.01.20 @ 22:07