Asked by Joseph  |  Submitted September 19, 2013

Is it better to get my 17 year old son listed on my policy or his own?

He's about to get his license and I want to make sure I do this the best way.

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

September 19, 2013

Very Common Question:
More than likely it will make most sense to add him onto your policy. If he is living with you and sharing a car or purchasing a new household vehicle then adding him to your policy would be the way to go. This will allow you keep his insurance costs down and allow you to maximize your current policy discounts.

Getting your son his own policy: With limited driving experience and no prior coverage it could get expensive for him to get a new policy on his own. If he has had a lot of tickets and/or accidents then a separate policy may also be the way to go for a high risk driver. By separating the vehicles and high risk drivers one can keep insurance costs down.

Once a children have moved out of the household permanently (not just school/college) then it is also a good time to have them removed from your policy. A new policy on their own with their new permanent address will reduce our liability exposure, help build them a track record with carriers, and help them become independent. Hope this helps and please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions.
Thank you for your valuable time.
Have a great day!

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.21.20 @ 00:42