Asked by calalexa  |  Submitted June 27, 2016

I am divorced after 18 years of marriage, my ex-husband is 5 years younger than I am. Can I collect spousal Social Security before he reaches 62?

He makes quite a bit more than I do so I would prefer to draw on his account than mine if possible.

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  2

June 28, 2016

Social Security is one of your largest, maybe your largest retirement benefits. Because of that many factors must be considered prior to filing. You wouldn't want to lock in a lifetime 25% income penalty. To answer your question - To collect spousal benefits requires both spouses to be at least age 62, married more than 10 years and you (calalexa) cannot have remarried.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 10.01.20 @ 19:09


July 12, 2016

Check with the Social Security office in your area and also check the details in your divorce decree and paperwork.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 10.01.20 @ 19:09