Asked anonymously

I am a US citizen, took early retirement, and live in France. Is there a health care plan for folks living the bulk of each year abroad?

My husband is French which is why we live most of the year in France, where I do have health insurance. I read recently that any US citizen spending more than 30 days in the US must have US coverage. How can I find affordable "temporary" coverage?

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  2

September 23, 2014

Expat health insurance is available through brokers and online. There are a number of companies that can help, such as: We don’t make any recommendations; feel free to shop around.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.26.20 @ 12:14


October 24, 2014

I recently helped an American couple who moved from California to Istanbul, Turkey, for work. GeoBlue (Blue Cross) travel insurance is the product they chose and they've been very pleased with the level of access for all of their healthcare needs. They recently upgraded their plan, during the annual open-enrollment period, to include a maturity benefit and the upgrade was processed immediately. It's not cheap, but I would recommend GeoBlue products to anyone planning to live abroad.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.26.20 @ 12:14