Asked by Kira Hamoudeh  |  Submitted January 31, 2016

I am a disabled mother of 3 taking care of my disabled mother. Is there any way for me to get ahead?

Only 1 of my children receive benefits from Social Security and that is from her father's. Mine does not cover my kids.

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

February 07, 2016

Hi Kira, I'm guessing what you mean by "to get ahead" is financially? Social Security serves as a social safety net. Because you and one child receives some type of benefit, it's possible "other" benefits and access to programs may be available to you. I don't know what state you are in to direct you to a specific department, but you can contact SSA @ 800.772.1213 AND contact your state's social and health services department.

Good luck, wish you well,

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.27.20 @ 16:34