Asked by Liz  |  Submitted September 30, 2015

I am 62 and divorced. Can I collect social security now based on my ex-husband's earnings, then collect my own social security at age 66?

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  2

September 30, 2015

Hi Liz,

This is a great question, thanks so much for asking it. As in any situation there are variables that could affect the answer for your specific situation. Here is an article about Social Security and Divorce that will answer most of your questions for you.

Social Security and Divorce

Thank you,

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.23.20 @ 07:11


November 14, 2015

Hello Liz, whatever age you apply for social security retirement, Social Security Administration-based on information you provide and its system records- will determine what records (called master benefit records or MBRs) you may apply for benefits against. It's a one time decision. Whichever record you choose is the "final answer".

Visit SSA.GOV and it's FAQ page for other related questions. Or post them here.

Hope my response is helpful,

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.23.20 @ 07:11