Asked by beverlycrousept  |  Submitted April 11, 2016

Do I need to report rent money as income if the expenses of owning the home (mortgage, maintenance) exceed the money earned?

I live and care for my 86 year old mother and my only income is $24,778.00 from permanent SSA Disability. I have Medicare only. No retirement, etc

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

April 14, 2016

YES. Generally speaking, all income needs to be reported for tax purposes. This includes rent money, even if the expenses of owning the home are greater then the rent itself. By the same token, you should definitely report the expenses of owning the home - if the total exceeds your standard deduction, you'll be eligible to itemize and lower your tax bill.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.29.20 @ 13:44