What to Do When Divorced Parents Both Want to Claim the Same Dependents

How the IRS Handles Dependent Claim Disputes

What to Do When Divorced Parents Both Want to Claim the Same Dependents
February 6, 2017

Claiming dependents on your taxes is usually a fairly straightforward procedure, but in some cases, more than one person (or couple filing jointly) will claim someone as a dependent, muddying the process. The most common example is when divorced or separated parents both want to claim their children as dependents for tax purposes.

Dependents can have a large impact on taxes — not just from the exemption for dependents and the ability to claim Head of Household filing status, but also through tax credits such as the Child Tax Credit, the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit, and the Earned Income Tax Credit. Both the qualification and the amount of potential credit are affected by the dependents that you can claim.

When more than one person (parents or otherwise) are claiming the same dependent and there is no custody, divorce, or separation agreement outlining who may claim the exemption, the IRS has a series of tie-breaker rules used to determine whose claim is accepted and whose is rejected. In order, these rules are:

  • Relationship – Parents take preference over non-parents in the case of competing claims.

  • Residence – The parent with whom the children live the longest during the tax year may claim them as dependents. Generally in a divorce, this will be the custodial parent. For separation or cases of joint and equal custody, it may be necessary to move to the next tiebreaker.
  • Income – When the residency ruling is the same, the parent with the highest adjusted gross income (AGI) may claim the exemption, generally assuming that they have provided more support.

  • No Parental Claims – If neither party attempting to claim the dependent is a parent and the parents themselves do not qualify to claim the dependent, then the person with the highest AGI may claim the exemption. If parents qualify but choose not to claim, then a claiming person’s AGI must be greater than that of either parent.

For unmarried parents, the parents are allowed to decide who claims the exemption as long as the parents and children lived in the same household all year and both parents qualify.

The IRS does not handle any disputes up front. Whoever files their tax form first and claims the dependent receives the exemption, and whoever files second will have their tax return rejected. It is best to work out an agreement with your ex or soon-to-be-ex before filing to avoid inadvertent problems – otherwise, you will have to work out the issue through the IRS Customer Service department to determine if you have a reasonable claim to the exemption or if you will just have to forgo the claim and any corresponding credits. If you e-filed, you will have to resubmit a paper copy to allow the IRS to apply the tiebreaker rules.

Custodial parents can allow the non-custodial parent to claim the dependent if he or she relinquishes the rights by submitting IRS Form 8332, “Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent.” The form allows you to relinquish the rights for one year or multiple years, or revoke a previous relinquishing of rights. In the end, the custodial parent has control.

Details may be found in IRS Publication 504, “Divorced or Separated Individuals.” This publication outlines the topics covered above, and includes special cases along with a series of examples to illustrate different situations. However, if you have a more complex issue, you should consult with a qualified tax attorney to advise you on the best path to take.

Calculate your tax bracket .

Photo ©iStockphoto.com/monkeybusinessimages

  Conversation   |   3 Comments

Add a Comment

By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service
Daniel Dohlstrom | 02.06.17 @ 18:02
Seems in cases of split custody it would me much easier to have this written out and agreed upon to avoid disputes and stress.
Christina | 02.06.17 @ 18:47
This is one of those things that needs to be clearly spelled out in a divorce or separation agreement, or at least in writing for parents who aren't married but who are no longer together. Hopefully the parents can come to an agreement that doesn't need to be enforced by either the courts or the IRS.
Zanna | 02.06.17 @ 20:19
This seems to favor the higher earning parent, when in reality the lower income parent likely spends a higher percentage of their income on child-related expenses. I would think in these cases, both should be able to claim, and credited a smaller amount than the usual allowance.
$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 01.22.18 @ 04:40

  Our Professionals Are Available to Help!

  Can't find What You're Looking For?