Asked by PATRICIA  |  Submitted May 17, 2017

Can I remove a charge-off from my credit report?

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

June 02, 2017

You can ask a creditor reporting a charge-off to remove or adjust said charge-off, provided the creditor is unable to prove the charge-off is yours. Other than that, you cannot personally remove a charge-off from your report. It's up to the creditor, or it will fall off your report after seven years. The best you can do is to settle the amount due and have the creditor show the account as "paid". A "paid" charge-off will not have a huge influence on your credit score after several years paid.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 10.01.20 @ 19:36