Asked by bonnie.myers  |  Submitted March 17, 2016

Can I claim the cost of energy efficient replacement windows on my tax return

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  1

April 15, 2016

Hi Bonnie,

Restrictions apply. So check with your tax advisor and be sure you have the written certification from the manufacturer that their product qualifies for this tax credit. They usually post it on their website or include it with the product’s packaging.

As of the 2015 tax year, the federal government offers two such credits: the Residential Energy Efficiency Property Credit and the Non-business Energy Property Credit. The first credit is good through 2016; the second was due to expire after 2014 but has been extended through 2016. Claim either credit by filing Form 5695 with your tax return

Feel free to contact us directly for more information. No obligation

It's not what you make, It's what you keep that determines your lifestyle.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.28.20 @ 02:10