Have you watched HGTV's Island Hunters and dreamed about owning your own island? Wouldn't it be great to island hop and look for your favorite piece of paradise — one that has all the amenities that you want, or lack of them if you prefer? All you have to do is scrape up a few million dollars and you are good to go.
Believe it or not, private islands can be found for less than a million dollars — even less than $100,000. There are hundreds of islands in lakes, coastlines, and seas all around the world that are available if the price is right. If you would like to browse island prices sometime, check out PrivateIslandsOnline.com and see if you can find one in your price range.
Use the sliding scale to select a price range, and select any filters you want. Choose your type of island (private island or island parcel), the degree of development, and the location/region. For example, a search for developed private islands in Alaska yields four offers ranging from $489,000 to $5 million. Developed private islands in Maine yields offers ranging from $339,000 to $4.75 million.
Here are a few islands on the lower end of the scale as of this writing:
- Sweet Island – Sweet Island is located in British Columbia and contains 3 acres with a one-half acre garden area and the remnants of a house ("in disrepair but the foundation is good"). Just $72,900 and it's yours.
- Inishbigger Island – How about a European island? Off the coast of Ireland, Inishbigger Island contains 13 acres of grazing land and peat with no structures. One advantage — it's only 200 meters from the mainland and fordable at low tide. Own this Irish island for $83,799.
- Berrien Springs Island – A three-acre island in Berrien Township, Michigan, Berrien Springs Island can be yours for the low price of $125,000.
- Lark Caye – Looking for a more tropical climate? The Lark Caye listing in Belize offers 2.2 acres located only six miles from the village of Placencia. Your Central American island paradise awaits for only $175,000
If you're going to dream, why not dream big? Let's look at some upper end listings.
- Rangyai Island – Located in Thailand 20 minutes east of Phuket, Rangyai Island features both lush forests and beautiful white sand beaches spread over 110 acres. Got $160 million? If so, Rangyai Island can be yours.
- Pumpkin Key – A 26-acre island listing in the Florida Keys doesn't show up very often. Better catch it while you have the opportunity and $95 million to spare.
- Shelter Island Estate – A "Majestic Mountain Aerie" located on the 24-acre Shelter Island in Montana's Flathead Lake, this listing can be yours for $44.8 million.
- Three Mexican Islands – How about a package deal? Located in the Sea of Cortez, Macapule Island boasts 5,220 acres primed for tourist development. Conveniently 150 meters from the resort town of Las Glorias Beach on the Mexican mainland, this island is listed at $95 million.
There are plenty of other islands that show as "price upon request." As the old saying goes, if you have to ask, you can’t afford it.
Are these islands a little out of your price range? You can always make your own island in the back yard by digging a ditch and creating a moat. It may not be an island paradise, but at least you can have a private place all to yourself. Caution: Don't try this if you live in an apartment.