Asked by Chrisitna  |  Submitted August 17, 2015

After my divorce, I have no retirement savings at all. What is the best way to try to catch up?

Report Question Report

  Leave Answer

Sign in to MoneyTips
By submitting you agree to our Terms of Service

  Answers  |  2

August 20, 2015

Hi Christina, I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. It really depends on your timeline and goals in retirement. The short answer is if you're closer to retirement age, then you need to put as much money away as possible into something with a guaranteed return and that can possibly offer you lifetime income. If you're not close to retirement age, you'll have plenty of options available to you to 'catch up.' Do you mind replying back with details, such as your age, and how much income you'd like to make in retirement to start?

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.25.20 @ 00:16


October 03, 2015

Hello Christina, well the good news is if your marriage was longer than 10 years you are entitled to 1/2 of your ex-spouse's social security benefits! It is important to consult with a specialist in divorce financial planning before, during and after divorce (a CDFA).. To answer your question properly, we need to consider: Do you have no retirement savings because of a settlement agreement? Are you certain you do not have a claim to jointly or your separately-funded retirement savings? Depending on your age there are certain catch-up additional contributions you can make depending on whether you are employed or self-employed.. Before considering how to save for retirement, do you have an Emergency Fund? If so, and you have discretionary income to invest you need to consider how many years you have available to invest before you want to retire, A good CDFA will review your entire financial picture with you - identify possible sources you are missing, like ex-spouse social security, and create a plan to ensure your current and future needs and goals are met.

$commenter.renderDisplayableName() | 09.25.20 @ 00:16