1. The PlayStation VR (PSVR), a virtual reality headset compatible with the PlayStation 4 (PS4), will be released on October 13. As of May 2016, over 40 million PS4s have been sold, generating about $16 billion in revenue for Sony just from the consoles.
2. Gaming companies directly and indirectly employ over 146,000 people in 36 states. The average employee in this industry earned $94,747 in 2012 (latest data available), almost double the average U.S. household income.
3. Computer and video games in the U.S. generated revenue of $23.5 billion in 2015, more than double movie ticket sales of $11.1 billion.
4. Activison's Call of Duty video game series has sold over 250 million copies worldwide, topping the sales charts in 6 of the last 7 years.
5. More American adults (49%) play video games than save in an employer-sponsored retirement plan (47.6%). FUTUREJET, a 2016 video game from MassMutual Retirement Services, promotes retirement savings goals.