1. Grossing $242 million in the United States and more than $295 million worldwide, 1984's Ghostbusters was the highest-grossing comedy of all time until 1990's release of Home Alone.
2. The film's theme song, which was written and performed by Ray Parker, Jr., was a huge hit, staying at number one for three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and contributing a reported $20 million to the film's box office take.
3. Ghostbusters II, released five years later, broke the U.S. record for opening-weekend gross at $29 million. Total worldwide box office reached $215 million against a budget of $37 million.
4. The franchise, which includes Ghostbusters II and two animated television series, The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters, has thus far grossed a total of $510,712,467.
5. The new 2016 film's budget is $154 million — the original cost $30 million — of which $14 million is reportedly going to Melissa McCarthy.