1. This Black Friday, Americans are expected to spend $9.2 billion in stores and a further $3.08 billion online.
2. Last year, the average shopper spent $299.60 over the Thanksgiving weekend (from Thursday to Sunday), with 77% of that being spent on gifts. 75 million Americans were in stores on Black Friday, with another 75 million shopping online.
3. The Monday after Thanksgiving is supposed to be a workday, but it has become a shopping day. It is estimated that Cyber Monday 2015 cost employers an estimated $450 million in lost productivity due to online deal-hunting.
4. The Chinese beat us in online shopping. China's Singles' Day, 11/11/16, generated $17.8 billion in online revenue, 32% growth from 2015. On Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2015, Americans only spent $5.8 billion online.
5. With shopper stampedes and other tragedies, Black Friday often lives up to its name. The site blackfridaydeathcount.com reports 7 shopping deaths and 98 injuries since 2006. Practice safe shopping!