1. While the average congressman has an average net worth of more than $1 million, Bernie Sanders has less than $750,000 in total assets, ranking 81st out of 100 senators.
2. Turns out Bernie is like the rest of us. He is currently carrying more than $25,000 of credit card debt.
3. When Sanders was first elected mayor of Burlington, Vermont, in 1980, he had to buy a suit, as he didn't own one.
4. Sanders was "flat broke" when he won his first Congressional seat in 1990. He borrowed money from a friend to take a vacation to Mexico with his wife after election day.
5. As of May 2016, Sanders' presidential campaign has raised $208,271,647, significantly less than Democratic competitor Hillary Clinton's $289,073,368.
Photo MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images