Imagine being so famous and iconic that you take out insurance not only on your life, but also on a specific part of your body. Celebrities have been known to take out insurance policies on body parts that are critical to their claim to fame, and other times for reasons that are just plain hard to understand.
Here is a compilation of some famous reported insurance policies, organized by body part. Note: not all of these are active policies, and several have been decried as rumors.
- Legs – The most popular insured body part appears to be legs. In the athlete/dancer category, we have stepdancer and choreographer Michael Flatley at $40 million, and soccer stars David Beckham at $70 million, and Cristiano Ronaldo at $144 million. In the singer/actress/model category, we have Tina Turner at $3.2 million, actress Jamie Lee Curtis at $2.8 million, model Heidi Klum at $2 million, singer Rihanna at $1 million, and Taylor Swift with a $40 million policy.
At the top of the list is Mariah Carey who reportedly insured her legs for $1 billion —that's billion with a b. Multiple sources have reported this citing each other, so we aren’t completely sure we buy this. What are the premiums on a $1 billion leg policy?
- Breasts – Madonna has a $2 million policy on her breasts, while former Playboy Bunny Holly Madison has a $1 million policy. According to some reports, Dolly Parton has a $600,000 policy on her breasts, and other reports claim that she took out a later policy for $3.8 million. However, Parton has denied having any policy in an interview on Bust.com (no, we're not making that up).
- Butt – Jennifer Lopez reportedly has a $300 million policy on her butt, while Kylie Minogue's is worth “only” $5 million. Is J-Lo’s butt 60 times more valuable than Kylie Minogue’s? Is J-Lo’s butt 60 times bigger? More importantly, how do you get a job as a butt insurance investigator? (“You had an accident? You got rear-ended? I’m coming over now to document the damage and take some pictures!”)
- Voice – Bruce Springsteen heads this group. The Boss's vocal chords are covered by a $6 million insurance policy.
- Smile – Julia Roberts’ famous smile is reportedly insured for $30 million, and actress America Ferrera has a $10 million policy on her smile through Aquafresh.
- Hands/Fingers – Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards had his hands insured for somewhere between $1.6 and $2 million according to reports. But honestly, what insurer in their right mind would insure any other part of him?
- Nose – Comedian Jimmy Durante had his rather sizable nose insured for $50,000 in the 1940s — an enormous sum in today's dollars.
- Waist – Actress Bette Davis took out a $28,000 policy in the 1940s that paid out if her waist size increased beyond 25".
- Tongue – Both pop star Miley Cyrus and Kiss frontman Gene Simmons have or had $1 million insurance policies on their tongues. Both are infamous for displaying them in public.
- Hair – Troy Polamalu, former Pittsburgh Steelers strong safety and Head & Shoulders shampoo pitchman, had his iconic hair insured for $1 million. Singer Tom Jones reportedly had his hair insured for $7 million — his prominently displayed chest hair. However, Jones has publicly denied the story.
- Body – The current James Bond, Daniel Craig, insured his body for $9.5 million since he performs his own stunts. Former international soccer star David Beckham supposedly had a similar whole-body policy for almost $200 million. Since he was just crowned People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive of 2015, I wonder if his premiums increased?
- Taste Buds – Food critic Egon Ronay reportedly had his taste buds insured for $2.3 million.
We end with one that's in a category all of its own. David Lee Roth, the former Van Halen frontman, once mentioned in an interview that he had a policy on his sperm — not the creation of sperm, but the eventual destination. Roth was to be paid $1 million in case of an unwanted pregnancy that left him responsible for child support. Other sources say Roth took out a Lloyd's of London policy on his most private of parts. If these reports are true, given the rocker's lifestyle during the early eighties, there must have been one very nervous insurance underwriter out there somewhere.
Photo of Jennifer Lopez by Ana Carolina Kley Vita from São Paulo, Brasil [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons. Photo of Mariah Carey by SKS2K6 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons. Photo of Madonna by U2005.com Uploaded by MyCanon (Madonna) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons. Photos of Jennifer Lopez, Bruce Springsteen, Julia Roberts, Keith Richards & Daniel Craig ©iStock.com/EdStock. Photo of Miley Cyrus by Sgt. Michael Connors - 302nd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons. Photo of Jimmy Durante by Trailer screenshot (Broadway to Hollywood trailer) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons. Photo of Bette Davis by Trailer screenshot (Jezebel trailer) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons. Photo of Tom Jones by Georgio (Flickr) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons